Friday, August 8, 2008

Updates...

It's been a while since I last updated, so here's the short version...

July was a busy month with a trip out to Toronto for work followed by some big meetings with partners. Beth headed out to Longmeadow for the start of her "vacation" (one week with Mom before I joined her and we headed to the Cape). The doctorate program is, in a nutshell, hell for her.

All was going fairly well until the day I was supposed to head out east to join her. I had a "download" meeting with my boss and was informed that they were going to have to let me go. Restructuring. Whatever the reason, it sucks. Sure I can collect unemployment and I got a package, but it still sucks. Job hunting today is not easy. To some extent it's not really about how good you are, it's about who you know. Fortunately I was given my vacation as paid time off and would be on the payroll until the 6th of August.

So, off I go on the red eye to Hartford, wondering how I'm going to tell my already stressed out wife that I'm no longer employed. She took it in stride and has been extremely supportive. The 2 weeks out east were great, we had a whole week on what was almost a private beach on the Cape Cod National Seashore, I went to Fenway Park TWICE (Yankees and Angels, although we lost both), ate lobster TWICE, and got real tan. Considering I'd just lost my job, it was a great vacation.

Back home and ready to leave InFocus after 7 1/2 years it all feels so surreal. I'm going to volunteer at Aloha HS as a cross country coach for a while (hopefully for the season) and find the next great adventure in life.

No comments: