Sunday, October 7, 2007

Breakdown...

Today I ran and finished my first marathon. I should be more happy with this, but I'm numb with the disappointment from months or preparation. I did not qualify for Boston, not even close...

Through the half, I was right where I wanted to be, 1:31:00, on pace for just over 3 hours and well within Boston qualifying time. Heading up the St. John's Bridge, I had some minor issues, but worked past them and was still right on pace (although cutting it close, thought I could make back some time on Greeley). Then it happened...

After all this preparation, it never once crossed my mind that I'd have cramps, bad ones. My legs shut down. When I did my 21 mile training run 3 weeks ago, it was perfect. I was ready. Today, everything felt great at the start. At mile 20, nothing was right. I thought I could walk it out, get more water in me and stretch or something... nope. I fought my legs for the last 6 miles. I had to finish, I owed myself at least that much.

The last 1/2 mile I gutted it out. I started back up again and was not going to stop. It hurt more than anything I've ever done. I had to finish strong, at that point it was about pride... something that was kicked in the gutter repeatedly today.

I had one bad race all season. One... the one that mattered most to me. I'm sure I'll get perspective at some point, but I am competitive. I like to be at the top of my game... it just wasn't going to be today.

I should have known when the cap on my gel flask came off (and let the gel run down my legs... I looked like I shit myself... nice) that something bad was around the corner...

At least the Red Sox are 2 innings away from winning (and sweeping) their ALDS match up.

No comments: