Sunday, January 18, 2009

Week 14 training

Not exactly what I'd call a banner week. It could have been better, but it also could have been worse.

Monday: Planned rest day.
Tuesday: 10min tempo @ threshold, 2 min rest, 400 fast and easy, rinse and repeat - we did this on the grass field on a nice sunny day. I can now honestly say that running on this surface is hard and sucks. It takes more energy, which makes you stronger... assuming it doesn't also take 3 days to recover.
Wednesday: 5.7 miles, "recovery" run @ 7 min pace. Legs were like lead from Tuesday.
Thursday: 5.9 miles @ ~ 7:05 pace, not bad, but still felt like I wasn't at my normal energy level.
Friday: unplanned rest day. Since it's still early in the training program and I felt like I did not recover well, I took today off so that I could get in 2 solid days over the weekend.
Saturday: 6.3 miles @ ~ 7:05 pace. Good run, took it easy and just enjoyed a new area. Ran down in LO to scope out part of a long run we're planning for Superbowl Sunday. Feeling better. It was cold and windy, but not too bad.
Sunday: Goal was 15 miles, but it was cold and very windy still. Trail conditions were great though on Leif Erickson. Went 14.2 miles @ 7:30 pace. Did 2 miles towards the end pushing the tempo on a gradual downhill section.

Observations: If at all possible, I'd prefer to stay on the track for intervals. If we're doing it on the field, need to slow the pace down. Runs over 14 miles need some fuel. I was more tired that I'd like to be at the end of a run, so I need something about halfway through to keep the energy level up.

No comments: